Digital Transformation of Management Operations in Qatar National Bank
In the digital era where almost everything is going through digital transformation, we can say nothing surprises more than being outdated. Qatar National Bank (QNB) surprised us the most with their banking management system. The most renowned and trustworthy ecosystem like QNB was managing its banking system using many traditional techniques for management. While they do get the job done, there is a space for improvement.
Traditionally, many salaried human employees would be required doing manual work which ultimately results in a higher number of employees, time-consuming tasks, human errors, and dependency factors.
We are tasked with the digital transformation of QNB’s operations to get it up to speed with present trends and ensure the most effective and efficient usage of resources.
Overview of Qatar National Bank
Started almost 6.5 decades ago, Qatar National Bank indeed has a large history. QNB has been providing many banking and finance services to individuals and corporations since its formation. They can offer in depth insights that will help in improving business and profits.
They provide Treasury and Investment Solutions, Relationship Management, Credit Facilities and much more. Other than that, they will provide all the general services that you expect a bank to provide: Current and Deposit Accounts, Global transactions and more.
Our client has engaged with Atlassian products a year back to manage their software development and support team, with a lack of Atlassian products the team is not able to use the Agile framework implementation as per the Atlassian best parties.
So, we have analyzed their situation and we identified the core problem as a lack of technical literacy and extended the support accordingly. The first thing we need to do is to apply digital transformation for their entire management ecosystem, employ the most efficient management practices, train their people with Agile Methodologies and provide them with the right tools.
Through conversation with our Atlassian consultant and Solutions Architects, we agreed to implement the Age line framework in a 3 weeks time frame with the Atlassian best parties for 2 projects. Provided training to Project Management Team and Scrum managers to manage Scrum and Kanban boards to manage their projects efficiently.
We implemented following marketplace plugins:
- Implemented BigPicture
○ plan and manage your initiatives,
○ lead teams and set priorities,
○ supervise performance and track progress,
○ coordinate resources and distribute workloads,
○ detect and respond to risks, and much more
- Implemented ScriptRunner in Jira environment
- Implemented Tempo Timesheets – Time Tracking & Reports
○ Embedded Time Tracking Saves Time via Automation
○ Create Automated Reports Based on Reliable Data
○ Make Fact-Based Decisions
What we Analysed?
We took a deep dive into their corporate workings and have thoroughly undergone through all of their management practices. While they are achieving what they wanted in the end, we identified numerous problems that are increasing the costs for them and making their employees do a lot of manual work.
Here’s what we have analyzed in a nutshell:
- They are following a crude form of planning involving manual collection of information and planning.
- They are assigning tasks and tracking progress through traditional run of the mill ways which would slow things down a bit and involve huge manual work.
- Project Progress and estimates are also being tracked similarly.
- Changes to issues are managed manually through spreadsheets and rely on manual communication of information to the concerned individuals/team and many more practices in which they use word documents, spreadsheets to manually track information and manage any undertaking they have.
How did we figure out the right technology?
Right technology is nothing but that solves the current problems with full effectiveness and efficiency while leaving room for improvements that would be needed in future. So, while brainstorming the right technology for our client’s problems, we decided to have a flexible solution that would cover all the client’s problems and accommodate any future changes too. As much of the problems here are related to project management, our natural foray would be the JIRA Software.
Jira is highly configurable and flexible to allow for usage in a wide variety of environments and processes. The Jira workflows, issue types, and screens enable tailoring for almost any scenario and can easily be changed via the administration GUI.
Atlassian developed this software and it works on a kanban board system.
What problems can JIRA solve?
JIRA can help in:
- Easily implementing agile methodology by using kanban boards
- Creation of multiple issues, assigning them to the right people and keeping all the required information in a single place which can be dynamic.
- Fully customizable issue, in which one can add almost any kind of information plus providing relevant tags.
- Highly functional search mechanism, which lets its users efficiently filter through various issues in Jira. They even have their own Query language for advanced searches which can be stored as unique filters.
- Maintain confidentiality by letting its administrators provide granular access to information to users.
Basically, JIRA helps in efficient management of almost any project and lets the team follow and implement agile methodology.
Now, while JIRA is very powerful, it can’t provide every needed feature. This is where its extensibility comes into the picture. There are lots of plugins we can use with JIRA which can enhance the JIRA and make it more powerful.
These are some of the features JIRA does not give out of the box efficiently:
Gantt Charts, Cross portfolio work, Supervision and some more advanced project management methods.
For these issues, we have decided to use Big Picture. Big Picture provides all of these features and also provides an easy way for creating SaFe compliant Roadmaps and more efficiency in planning, leading teams, and setting priorities.
Once we choose the right technology, we then work on deploying and configuring the technology to be suitable to the client’s needs. QNB has its own data centers which it uses for multiple purposes. We deployed the JIRA software to their own data centres and made it accessible to all the required people.
PMOBYTES SUPPORT SERVICES
Post implementing the Atlassian best parties for the initial 2 projects with our atlassian experts results drive in the process and solutions. We implemented our Atlassian Administration Consultant for 12 months to onboard on-site in QNB the rest of the projects and follow the best parties for the remaining projects too.
As a result of implementing JIRA for project management we were able to achieve:
High Efficiency: QNB was able to complete more work in less time without much manual work.
High Security: With granular access and robust security of data, QNB’s data is now more secure and safe from the hands of malicious actors.
Ease of Access of Information: With the power of JIRA and Marketplace Plugins, information is now easily accessible from their huge collection of data.
Productive and Happy Employees: With a heavy load of manual work lifted off their shoulders, employees are more productive and happy.
Reduced Cost: Finally, With such automation and improved efficiency, QNB was able to significantly cut costs and increase profit.
We analyzed all of their operations and implemented JIRA along with Big Picture that has improved the efficiency of their operations
Post implementation, we are providing additional support services and regular pentesting so that their infrastructure is ever evolving as per the current demands of the time.